Friday, October 17, 2008

Another interesting day...

So I woke up this morning to Wyatt standing by my bed saying he didn't feel well. Usually that means he has a bad headache and puking will ensue. So I quickly got up and got some ibuprofen (not the smartest on an empty stomach) and a deep bowl. He went back to bed, but not for long.

After moving to the couch and yaking a few times the color started to go back into his face. By 11:00 he felt fine and actually wanted to go to school. Great, I thought! So we took him to the bus stop and then Travis and I headed to Michaels for some supplies.

Just after the bus picked up Wyatt, my phone rang. It was my good friend Julie asking if we could meet somewhere because she had something for me. We agreed to meet in a parking lot. Travis and I got there a few minutes before her, so we just sat in the van. I opened one of the sliding doors so it wouldn't get stuffy. Travis had fun sitting in the drivers seat messing with things. When Julie showed up we just got out and went to her car (leaving the van door open).

When all was said and done, I put Travis in his seat and buckled him up and shut the sliding door. When I went to open my door, it was locked. Yes, Travis had locked the doors while we were waiting for Julie - and he was buckled in his seat so he couldn't unlock them.

So Julie ran to the gas station to see if there was a locksmith near by and ended up calling the cops. A policeman showed up and told me he could only break a window (and I said I'd rather he didn't), but that he'd call their normal tow company who carry lock kits.

Julie came back from the gas station with some donut holes that we tried to throw at Travis through the vented window to make him happier. He just liked to see Annie outside the window, so he didn't mind when the donut holes ended up on the floor.

Thankfully we called the cops first - and that Travis was stuck in the car - because the guy didn't charge me to unlock the van. So the moral of the story is... make sure if you're going to lock your keys in the car that your child is strapped in the seat and that you call the cops first. Oh yeah, and don't do it in hot weather because the police will have to bust a window if your child shows any sign of distress!!!

4 comments:

Brooke said...

Wow, what a day! Hope everyone is feeling well. Glad you didn't get charged for the un-lock!

Tulsi said...

I did this once when my 14 year old was 3. I'd pulled into a carwash, manual, and didn't think that the doors locked automatically. I didn't have the keys for some reason. I tried yelling to her to slide down as far as she could and unlock it with her toe. I had her very well strapped it. A gas station wasn't to far and my husbands office wasn't far but she freaked at the thought of me leaving. And then I could just see "MOM leaves toddler in the car at the car wash as she leaves to get a coke" on the news. After close to three hours she finally got her toe close enough to unlock it. We didn't wash the car.

shortino said...

doh!

teresa said...

Never a dull moment at the Hambricks!! Makes life interesting and gives you fun stories to re-tell when they get older...