This post is in thoughts of my high school English teacher, Mrs Currence. Carol is now officially retired and enjoying a different phase of life. It gets me thinking a bit about all of the different milestones we hit along this road we call life.
Right now I'm immersed in the phase of "mother of young children". There are quite a few different mother phases - and I'm grateful to say that I am no longer in the category of "mother of babies". But I am constantly reminded that it won't be too long and I'll be "mother of school-aged children". I'm getting nervous about the year that Travis starts kindergarten (I still have 3 years, but I'm always thinking about it). Yeah, I'll be a little sad when my baby goes to school, but I'm more concerned about going back to work! Can I really balance work and home? Can I be a good mom and wife, or will I be tired and cranky all the time (I know that my boys and Jake would wonder if it can get any worse than it already is!) And what in the world am I going to do? Do I just work a little retail job at minimum wage? Or do I go back and work for a booming tree company that will give me a great salary and wonderful benefits? I'm kind of thinking I might go something a little middle of the road. I think I may get too bored with retail, and working for a tree company would be great, but I'd be away from home more. Maybe I'll try my hand at teaching!
Yup, I said it, I might teach. No, not elementary or middle school. I'm thinking more along the lines of high school biology or agriculture. It goes along the lines of my degree and I know that the school district will help me get my teaching credentials. I think I'm going to start out as a sub. I know, it will be tough and kids will try my patience, but it's par for the course.
So what do you think? Can I hack it as a high school science teacher? Or do you think I'll want to rip a new one in every child that tries to talk back to me? Do I have the compassion I need to be a good teacher? Can I make the classes interesting so that the kids will want to learn?
Monday, September 08, 2008
Where will the road take me?
Posted by Shanan at 6:55 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)







7 comments:
I think you can do it, but I also think you'll want to rip every kid a new one. However, you will laugh with the kids when one of them rips a fart that perfectly resonates off the plastic chair (unlike Mrs. Pettyjohn).
I think you would be a GREAT high school teacher. Look at your relationship with the teens in the ward!?! I say go for it!
Hey, what about our plans to open a scrapbooking store? :) I suppose you could do both!
-Jess
I think you would make a wonderful teacher!! It is a wonderful profession, if you like young people. They always kept my heart young! I also like the idea of a scrapbooking store, and maybe you could teach classes and show folks how to make those wonderful cards you do. Take care and thanks for thinking about me. Love You!
I definitely think you *could* do it. But you need to find out if you *want* to do it. Maybe doing some subbing would be cool (even though they don't get much respect from the students). I'd definitely look for a way to see if it's something that's really up your alley. Teaching is hard, but it can be really rewarding too. It's challenging enough even when the students kinda sorta want to be there -- for me, personally, it'd be really hard to teach on anything but the university level for that reason alone (not that I'm pretending that all of my students really want to be in Italian class... but, in general, it's more true than for high school). Have you considered doing some more landscape design too? Just curious.
I'd actually rather get back into a tree company than do landscaping. I like design, but feel I'd have to go back to school to do what I really want to do. I don't know... we'll just have to see.
i thought abt being a teacher.... once... then never went back and finished my degree... i only have enough pateince for my kids, but thats me... do what you WANT, bc that is the only way you will enjoy what you are doing, rather then it feeling like a burden constantly....
Post a Comment