Monday, July 28, 2008

Squash anyone?

I do it every year! I plant WAY TOO MUCH squash and zucchini! Of course this year there were no zucchini to be found, so it's just yellow squash. Jake just shakes his head because he doesn't understand why I garden veggies that the majority of the family doesn't eat. Is it because the prophet tells us to? Is it because I hope we'll be able to feed the entire street and then some? Is it because I love yellow squash so much that I can't get enough of it? No, I think it's because I get satisfaction out of reaping the benefits of what I plant. And of course zucchini and squash are the easiest veggies to grow!


So if the majority of the family won't eat it, what do you do? I figured if you can make Zucchini Bread, why can't you make Yellow Squash Bread? So I dug out my recipes and made some bread today. OK, so I did a little more than that - I made a LOT of bread today. The boys and I hope to drop loaves off to people we want to share with.

And yes, it is good. Travis ate 1/2 of a small loaf and the other 2 polished off the rest of it. I even made another batch so that we could have another loaf since the boys liked it so much. So I guess our squash won't go to waste this year.

3 comments:

Brooke said...

Oooohhhh!!! Yum!! Can't wait for some of that to show up at MY house!! :)

Shorter family said...

I LOVE squash and zuccini, seriously. So if you ever have an abundance again, just stick a stamp on it and send it to Connecticut. Unfortunately your little bro considers it a "Vile weed," so we don't have it very often.

teresa said...

Hey, grab a loaf and freeze it so we can taste it next time we get up your way...sounds really good! How very creative of you!