I don't know how my mom and dad made it through 3 kids (2 of which were boys) without ER visits or broken bones or stitches!!! Of course our mom was the type that even if your arm were hanging by tendons only, she would probably just patch it up and send us on our way - she was NOT one to take us to the dr for "little" things.
So we've been to the ER with Wyatt when we thought Brad had broken his finger slamming it in the closet door. Luckily it wasn't broken!
This week I spent a couple of hours in Urgent Care with Brad. He had wet shoes and ran into the garage and slipped on the concrete, slammed his head on the floor and busted it open. At first Jake and I were much like my mom, "Oh, it'll be fine! Hold the wet rag over it and watch TV." After about 20 minutes when we could get a better look (after the blood was washed away), we noticed the gash. It led to 2 stitches.
I think Brad was more afraid of the stitches than the actual injury. He cried and cried while in the waiting room. But it ends up that the UC we went to has a really good staff. The nurse was incredible and eased Brad's worries.
And did you know that they don't need to give a shot to numb the area before putting in the stitches? I had no idea! They have a gel that they apply to the wound. It feels really cold, but it numbs the area. Brad didn't feel a thing (thankfully).
Brad even commented that the next time he gets hurt he wants to go to that UC office.
So we've been to the ER with Wyatt when we thought Brad had broken his finger slamming it in the closet door. Luckily it wasn't broken!
This week I spent a couple of hours in Urgent Care with Brad. He had wet shoes and ran into the garage and slipped on the concrete, slammed his head on the floor and busted it open. At first Jake and I were much like my mom, "Oh, it'll be fine! Hold the wet rag over it and watch TV." After about 20 minutes when we could get a better look (after the blood was washed away), we noticed the gash. It led to 2 stitches.
I think Brad was more afraid of the stitches than the actual injury. He cried and cried while in the waiting room. But it ends up that the UC we went to has a really good staff. The nurse was incredible and eased Brad's worries.
And did you know that they don't need to give a shot to numb the area before putting in the stitches? I had no idea! They have a gel that they apply to the wound. It feels really cold, but it numbs the area. Brad didn't feel a thing (thankfully).
Brad even commented that the next time he gets hurt he wants to go to that UC office.







2 comments:
if i've said it once, i've said it a thousand times (i've never understood that one) -- no running with wet shoes on cement!
glad he's doing ok.
Crazy kid!! Hope he's feeling better.
Post a Comment