Friday, April 11, 2008

Grocery Stores

I really dislike
(we don't use the word "hate" in our house!!!)
going to the grocery store.

Let me list the reasons why...
  • I always have at least 1 kid with me. If it's a quick trip is not nearly as bad, but usually I'm wrestling with Travis because he doesn't want to sit in the cart, or listening to Wyatt whine about something, or fussing at the boys because they don't watch where they're going and cut people off or just plain get in their way.
  • I pay tons of money, just so it can go down the toilet. Unfortunately the realization came to me today that every grocery we buy ends up in the toilet. So we could just flush money down and it would be the same thing.
  • I end up spending WAY more than I ever intended. Yup, Walmart sucks us in. They have everything under the sun for a reason - so they get more of our hard earned money. Granted, it is convenient to go to one place to buy nearly everything you could ever dream of, and at low prices, but it is tempting when you walked in for only milk and bread!!!
  • Once I spend all of our money, I have to put the crap away! My only complaint about our house is that the garage is on the basement level. So no matter what I try to do, I have to carry all the flippin' groceries up stairs. I realize I have 3 strapping boys that could take them up for me, but who wants to go shopping with 3 boys??????? See point number 1 if you can't remember why I don't like to take them all with me.
  • Once everything is put away, I have to be creative enough to make meals with everything. Anyone that knows me knows that I hate to cook. Dinner (and lunch for that matter) is my least favorite task of the day. Am I creative about cooking? Huh, uh! Nobody appreciates the dinners I do make - instead they have to loudly declare that they don't like anything I make. And Jake just eats and leaves the table - like he's obligated to eat it and that's that.
So in my opinion, grocery stores are evil. If I could find a place that would deliver groceries and not mark up their prices 200% or charge an astronomical delivery fee, I'd definitely be grateful. But alas, I live in Winchester VA and no such thing exists. Until then, I'll suffer through Walmart trip after Walmart trip grumbling all the way!

2 comments:

shortino said...

you should go late at night. much more fun. trips to food-4-less around midnight were lots of fun (freshman year).

ginnie gets a lot of ideas for meals from kraft.com. she thinks they're bland. i like them. but i also think it's part of her plan to make me lose the biggest loser competition.

Amy said...

ok. heres some advice... buy a good cookbook (I recommend cheap, fast, good) make a list of 20 meals you can live with, rotate them around to fill a month (leftovers a few nights, cereal on date nights, etc.) and shop according to that. it helps!! Then after you make a meal, write in the cookbook what everyone thought of it, or changes you need to make (add chili powder, etc.) grocery shop w/ all your kids indiv. and teach them how to "help you" find the best deal, then make it a game when you have all of them. and finally, when you have to do your major grocery shopiing each month, bride the HECK out of your kids (lunchables if they behave, soda with dinner, etc. whatever it takes, and only give it to the ones who behave...)oh and SHOP WITH A LIST... (i uinderstand your pain though, our bill is 800/food ALONE monthly... and it keeps getting worse... boys are way to expensive...)