Thursday, November 06, 2008

My thoughts...

I don't post my own opinions much... other than how I feel about the role of motherhood and such. But this week has been enough to get me thinking. Often I don't feel like I have enough information to backup my own opinion, therefore I just keep things to myself. I know, I'm a big girl and should be able to voice how I feel about things and not worry what kind of backup I have, but I'm not one that like confrontation, so I avoid it at most costs.

That said, this is a big step for me, but I see my blog as my journal of sorts and feel I should be able to express my feelings...

Just as the news repeats and repeats and repeats (too much in my opinion) how this week has been a historical one, it gets me thinking that I've been part of history. No, I didn't vote for our new president... in fact, I much preferred the ways of McCain. But to think that I'm alive and voted and took my children to the polls for an event that will one day be printed in history books is pretty amazing.

I realize our country is ina state of peril, but we can't blame it on good ol' George W Bush. Yes, he's been in office for 8 years, but guess what??? He's not ALL powerful! He can't control when others decide to bomb our country. He has no control over other countries that have a hard time setting aside their old ways to have a better life when we're trying to help them. He can't control that the economy is a pile of crud right now - because there are many factors to cause a downfall like this and it's not solely the president!!!

Personally I don't think a democrat or a republican is going to make such a difference that all are going to thank their lucky stars he was voted into office! None of us can ever know what it could have been should the other be president instead. Maybe Obama's views on things can make a few differences, but guess what? Milk and bread are still going to cost more than they ever have, gas prices are still going to be an issue, housing markets are not going to pick up in the next month or two, healthcare is still going to have its flaws, there will still be people that want for the necessities of life, etc, etc.

I hate to burst the bubble of anyone that thinks everything is going to become perfect over time. Unfortuately it's not... in fact, it will probably get worse. It stinks to think that we can't control everything, but it is reality.

I'm just glad that we have men and women in this country that still have pride for the good ol' Red, White and Blue. Our freedoms are still so precious. Without them I would not be able to go to church on Sunday and worship God the way I see fit. My children wouldn't be able to serve missions when they turn 19 to serve and teach others. Without our freedoms I couldn't have gone to a private college where I was surrounded by people that were of good influence, where I received an excellent education, and where people have a smidge more respect for me because I didn't go to a "party school". I'm grateful that the founding fathers were inspired to create a government that allows us to have elections. We have so much say in so many things. We are so blessed to be able to choose our jobs, where we live, who we associate with, where we worship, etc.

Our nation wasn't something that just came about... it was planned. That planning, by God and man, gives us what we have today. I can grumble about things I don't like and it's OK. I can rejoice about the good, and that's OK.

I love our country, the founding fathers, the men and women that have fought and still fight for us and the principles that it's all set on. Thank goodness I live in America!

4 comments:

Tulsi said...

Yea!!! Great post. I agree!! I tell my grandma that it isn't George Bush's fault if she has a toothache. She loves to blame everything on him. I love her to death, but in all honesty you are right. He isn't ALL that powerful. Neither will any of them be.

Ginnie said...

I think I liked McCain and Palin so much cause they love this country. And I've always been a very patriotic person-the 4th of July is my favorite holiday and "Proud to be an American" pretty much always brings tears to my eyes.

I think Bush is a good man. I feel sorry for him for all the crap he's taken over the last few years. I would like to see all of these complainers in that position. I can't imagine the pressure and stress the president feels.

Having said that, it'll be interesting to see what Obama does. I don't think he's Satan (like some people I know do), but it makes me mad that more than half of America chose to overlook things in his character and in his past that are sketchy. I know people aren't blind. I think they just decided he was too magical to question. So, I was a little depressed the other night when he won (that and I've only voted for people that have won before, so it was kind of weird for me).

Anyway, thanks for sharing your opinions. Living in Madison, being surrounded by educators, watching non-cable news, etc. makes me feel like I'm the only one that thinks this way. And I know I'm not...I think people don't want to say what they believe and risk getting in a fight.

But thanks!

Travis, Heather, & Tyler said...

I'll go ahead and say it. I'm an Obama supporter & I voted for him. That being said, I appreciated the honesty and purity in your post, Shanan. I agree that no one will be able to solve all of our problems overnight. But I know that Obama will work his hardest for all Americans. I also agree that we can't pin this all on "W". Unfortunately for him, I think he got the short end of the stick.
In any event, what a blessing to be an American! To have the right to choose and speak your mind as you see fit. We are lucky people. Thanks for your open & honest post!
Hugs!

Amy said...

great post! i took my kids w/ me to the polls as well, we watched states turn red and blue on the map, we got text messages from friends as the night went on and really talked abt the electoral process, and i loved every minute of it, knowing we can make change whether it be red or blue... this was hositorical on either side, but truth be told, i think there is no way this can be fixed. not in 4, not in 8, probally not even in 15 years. i dont know if it matters horribly which side won, the economy and many other issues that were concerns are so far destroyed it will take years and years for change to happen.... kinda scary